[Callers] Moves Following Box Circulate

Isaac Banner ibanner56 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:38:06 PST 2019

Hey all,

I've felt like most box circulate dances use the circulate as a buildup
into a swing with *someone*. Looking at
http://www.contra.dance/thecallersbox, there are only 12 results for dances
with a circulate that isn't followed by a swing and 9 of those results
don't include their choreography (grumble grumble), so I can't actually
confirm that they belong in the result set.

I feel like there's a lot of potential for dances that have box circulates
followed by something other than a swing. Here are a few I've been messing
with:

*Peace Is Still the Way*
Becket
A1
(8) Pass the ocean, balance the wave
(6) Ladies allemande left 1.5x while gents orbit cw halfway
(2) Partner allemande right 1/4 to long waves, gents in
A2
(8) Long waves balance & circulate (gents cross, ladies loop)
(8) Long waves balance & circulate - ladies catch RH as they cross, scoop
up partner
B1
(6) Ladies star promenade right 3/4, next gents catch left
(6) Gents star promenade left 3/4
(4) Partner butterfly whirl
B2
(6) Ladies dosido
(10) Partner swing

*Snowbirds*
Becket
A1
(8) Ladies half hey passing right
(4) Ladies chain
(4) Gents courtesy turn, roll lady away R to L into long waves (gents in)**
A2
(8) Long waves balance & circulate (gents cross, ladies loop)
(8) Long waves balance & circulate (ladies cross, gents loop)
B1
(8) Mad robin CW, gents in front
(8) Circle left 3/4 (better as a chase with eye contact, rather than hands)
B2
(16) Partner meltdown swing

I'm interested in what people think and also any other dances folks have
with different moves following a circulate (other than waves balance + Rory
because honestly who are we fooling).

Thanks,
Isaac Banner
http://www.contra.dance/isaac