[Callers] Contras with square dance figures

Chris Page chriscpage at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:56:58 PDT 2018

If it can be done with four people, it's likely been put in a contra
by _someone_.

Some other moves that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet:

Cloverleaf
Grand right and left
Lady around two/gent cut through
Orbit (many dances) (derived from Spin the Top via Fenterlarick)

And some more obscure ones:

Two-leaf clover
Dip and dive
Roll the barrel
Mountain style do-si-do
All eight spin the top
Spin the top
Catch all Eight (as in "Dancing Bear")
Do paso
Dixie style to a wave
Scoot back
Half sashay
Veer

In some contras written by Contralab folks, you have all sorts of
stuff, including

Run
Trade the wave
Sweep a quarter
Walk and dodge
Wheel and deal
Shuffle the deck
Diamond circulate
Explode

And plugging some of my own really weird dances, I've got:

Not Your Average Joe: Birdie in the cage
Rufty Rainbows: Rainbow stroll
TLC Tempest: Three ladies chain
Two Steps Forward: Ladies center/gents sashay
Wagon Reel: Wagon wheel

(One could even argue "Ladies chain" is this fancy new quadrille
figure that got introduced into contras.)

-Chris Page
San Diego