[Callers] Contras with square dance figures

Ben Werner benknobi89 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:28:40 PDT 2018

All,

I wrote Rip and Snort which includes the move of that name, although when I looked in taminations recently I couldn't find it, but I definitely picked it up from a square dance. I've called this multiple times with good success.

https://contradb.com/dances/571

I wrote the following dance which has some of the feel you've mentioned and also has the unique transition from a circulate to a hey which is why I wrote it.

Mentoring Mentor - indecent
Ben Werner
Starting with larks facing in
A1: (8) Long Waves Balance & Box Circulate
 (8) Long Waves Balance & Box Circulate
A2: (16) Long Waves Balance, ¾ hey: larks start with left shoulder
B1: (16) Partner B&S (on ladies home side)
B2: (4) Pass the ocean with larks RH in the middle,
(6) Partner allemande L ½ way, ravens Allemande R ½
(6) Neighbor allemande L 1 ¼ to long wavey lines
* the pass the ocean is actually a mirror of the typical pass the ocean which normally has Left Hands in the middle and pass a person by right shoulder. In this one, You pass Neighbors by Left Shoulder and have larks with right hands in the middle.
** I've gotten some feedback that the pass the ocean thing would be less confusing as a pass through across and face your partner but I haven't brought myself to actually changing it yet... But that would probably be the right thing to do.

I've called this a few times with mixed results. B2 seems to be the spot that always causes issues because we're trained to pass by the right shoulder.

Cheers,
Ben

Sent from my iPhone