[Callers] Moving past self-flagellation

Claire Baffaut cbaffaut at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 08:22:58 PST 2017

Ah yes!
Indeed it is a familiar feeling. So this pep talk is as much to myself as
it is to you.

- Live performance means that there will be mistakes.
- It is not possible to learn anything without making mistakes. If you are
not making any, you're not learning.
- Identify a few things that could be done differently (just a few as you
cannot fix everything at once).
- Ask for gentle, objective feedback or suggestions.
- Once you've done these last two, forgive yourself. You'll do better next
time.
- Hopefully, you can look forward the next gig and I wish you that it goes
well and make you feel good.

Cheers,

Claire

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Maia McCormick via Callers <

> So after a gig, I find myself haunted by one or two missteps from an
> evening — the rolling start that was a little muddy, the thing I didn’t
> teach clearly enough so the dancers never quite got it — even though the
> dancers adjusted and all had a good time, and I still had the hall’s trust
> and goodwill at the end of the evening.
>
> Is this a familiar experience for anyone? Assuming you’ve already learned
> the lesson to be learned there, how do you move past it and stop
> self-flagellating?Would love to hear some people’s thoughts!
>
> Cheers,
> Maia

*Claire*