[Callers] Moving past self-flagellation

Dale Wilson dale.wilson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:31:16 PST 2017

Me:  Ouch -- that was awful.  Did you notice that GLARING MISTAKE I made?
My Friends:  No.  We were just having fun enjoying the dances.

Eventually I stopped obsessing.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Claire Baffaut via Callers <

> Ah yes!
> Indeed it is a familiar feeling. So this pep talk is as much to myself as
> it is to you.
>
> - Live performance means that there will be mistakes.
> - It is not possible to learn anything without making mistakes. If you are
> not making any, you're not learning.
> - Identify a few things that could be done differently (just a few as you
> cannot fix everything at once).
> - Ask for gentle, objective feedback or suggestions.
> - Once you've done these last two, forgive yourself. You'll do better next
> time.
> - Hopefully, you can look forward the next gig and I wish you that it goes
> well and make you feel good.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Claire
>
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Maia McCormick via Callers <
>
>> So after a gig, I find myself haunted by one or two missteps from an
>> evening — the rolling start that was a little muddy, the thing I didn’t
>> teach clearly enough so the dancers never quite got it — even though the
>> dancers adjusted and all had a good time, and I still had the hall’s trust
>> and goodwill at the end of the evening.
>>
>> Is this a familiar experience for anyone? Assuming you’ve already learned
>> the lesson to be learned there, how do you move past it and stop
>> self-flagellating?Would love to hear some people’s thoughts!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Maia

> --
> *Claire*

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors.