[Callers] Rotation shifts (was: Another dance-check zig-zag R dance)

Ron Blechner via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Mar 14 21:57:54 PDT 2017

As long as you're opening this line of thought, here's some more thoughts:

Should we thus also say that every circle L / star R to circle R / star L
transition has equally no place in contra? Because that's even more of a
pronounced shift in rotational direction. (To be clear: with same
neighbors, not as a transition.)

I can imagine a counter-point would be noting that the swing is unique
because it's a tighter rotation, and so it's not the same as stars/circles.

But then how do we explain the frequency of dances with swing to ladies
allemande right / ladies pass right to start a hey? It's absolutely ladies
going from clockwise swing rotation to moving the opposite direction.

Or how about some other frequently used transitions (from most frequent)?:

Chain / R+L Thru to circle left. (Common, and a change in vector for both
roles)

Chain/star promenade to Face Next neighbor, DSD/"Gypsy"/Allemandes R with
that new neighbor. (Less common, but I dance one of these every few weeks,
on average.)

Contra Corners dances where ladies role has to make both a hand and
direction change (like... Chorus Jig)

And maybe the answer someone might give is "these are all bad flow". Yet
people seem to like many dances with them in it. I would be interested to
find out why.

In dance,
Ron