[Callers] Another dance-check zig-zag R dance

Yoyo Zhou via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Mar 15 12:09:53 PDT 2017

Hi Ron,

Maybe instead of "good flow" you could think about "dancers love it" and
instead of "bad flow" you could think about "dancers hate it". Of course
this is a gross false equivalence (dancers love things that aren't flow
too), and it ignores that dancers are all different, but it reminds us that
we're serving the dancers.

In your dance, I'd say the zig left into do si do feels good and you might
even get a comment or two about it, because we don't dance it often. The
right and left thru to gents allemande left is not good flow. Some dancers
will struggle to remember it. A few will mutter to each other. Your friend
who's real with you will tell you, "that was awkward for the gents". Still,
I don't think either of these will provoke a strong reaction, but...

The swing to circle right will really get people talking. You'll see people
try to pull in opposite directions and get jerked around. A few who
wouldn't have said anything about the previous transition will now grumble.
Several experienced dancers will come up to you right after the dance and
tell you how bad it was. But the silent majority will simply be relieved
that it's over with.

BTW, I don't object to circle rights - I think dancers like them just fine
- and I agree with the general goal of breaking up the monotony of swing,
circle left, swing, etc. for variety. But if you call a dance with a bad
flowing circle right, it'll make contra dancers more averse to circle
rights.

Yoyo Zhou

On Mar 14, 2017 8:19 PM, "Ron Blechner via Callers" <

I dance the ladies role enough where I feel I can confidently assert that
swing -> circle R is as difficult for gents as swing -> circle L is for
ladies. Either way, one person is unfolding from the swing opposite from
the rotation of the subsequent circle.

The bigger objection to flow is simply that it's a circle right that is
from a standstill, and people don't dance many circle rights. (But we dance
plenty circle lefts from a standstill.) In this case, I'm interested in the
circle R as something to fill a second-half-of-evening slot where I often
have need for dances that are fairly easy but not the same old circle
lefts, swings, stars, chains, and allemandes.

Best,
Ron

On Mar 14, 2017 11:05 PM, "Bob Isaacs via Callers" <