[Callers] New Dance to Share

Isaac Banner via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 8 17:50:02 PDT 2017

You might have seen it already, but I'm a fan of Sherry Nevin's "Monkey in
the Middle." She technically calls it a square, but I think of it as a 9
person circle mixer.

Monkey in the Middle, by Sherry Nevins
     9-person set: circle of 8, plus 1 in the middle

     A1 Circle left (8)
        Circle right (8)
     A2 Into the middle & back (8)
        Into the middle & back (8)
     B1 One in the middle, swing [some]one [Ballroom,
        elbow, or 2-hand swing.  Choose fast!] (8)
        Those 2, swing 2 [The swinging pair let go of each other, and
            each swing someone new.] (8)
     B2 Those 4, swing 4 [Each swings one of the remaining five.  The
            left-over person becomes the ...] (16)
        New monkey in the middle.  [The other eight] join hands and ...

It's a hit with young and old dancers alike.

- Isaac Banner

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:25 PM Frederick Park via Callers <