[Callers] Waltz-Time Contra Choreography

Bob Green via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Aug 9 12:25:14 PDT 2017

I think the distinction between a contra dance and other longways set
dances is actually a pretty blurry line that is primarily a function of
time, place and convention. By our current convention, contras have become
primarily longways dances 64 counts long, usually danced to 32 bar reels or
jigs. Most waltzes (but certainly not all) are also 32 bars, but that is 96
counts. To do a contra in waltz time, the footfalls have to be adapted to
the music in some way, at least if you want it to have any kind of
satisfactory feel.

One of the ways, at least on this side of the pond, we designate the
difference is we refer dances with 64 counts danced to square reels and
jigs with partner/neighbor swings as contra dances. When we vary the
length, meter, or remove the swings, we call then English country dances.
;-)

One of the distinguishing features of modern contra dances is that they do
not have any footwork. While most contra dancers add a buzz step for the
swing, the whole dance can be done with a walking step. There is no
skipping, setting, rigadoons or the like. what we refer to as English
dances can have those features. As Tony pointed out, the 3/4  time music
present a different challenge in a swing, as it adds a different element of
footwork.

Bob

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Robert Green via Callers <