[Callers] Waltz-Time Contra Choreography

Robert Green via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Aug 9 03:25:27 PDT 2017

Of course you are correct that it is a "regular" contra. There is nothing that forces the dance to be done in waltz time, only my intent makes it a waltz contra. I give a little of the back story in this video of the maiden voyage of the dance.

http://youtu.be/PXwAAASyrSE
I don't have any of the teach in the video, but like Ric, I  had them practicing the swing  in waltz time. I demoed how to do it with alternating feet, so yes,  it added about a minute and a half to the walk-through. I will sometimes do it as the last dance of the first half with the instruction, "Find a partner for a waltz and line up for a contra". The last time thru at the end of the partner swing, the call is, "Free waltz with your partner!"

Here is the dance done to a 4/4 tune:
http://youtu.be/Xgbw3ID-RBU

Sometimes you push her envelope....  ;-)

Bob Green
St. Louis

Sent from my iPad