[Callers] Waltz-Time Contra Choreography

Alan Winston via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 8 12:16:09 PDT 2017

Dugan --

Over in English-country-dance land there are a zillion longways duple
minor waltz-time dances.  Some of them have contra figures.

Gary Roodman's "Winter Dreams Waltz" to Jonathan Jensen's tune starts
off with a leisurely unassisted 1s cast down and face up while 2s lead
up and face down which will require a demonstration, but after that it's
mirror gypsy, pass through across, courtesy turn, left -had-star, long
lines fall back/come forward, circle left 1x,square-thru 2 (no
balances), partner two-hand-turn once round, whch should all be pretty
accessible for contra dancers, and it's a gorgeous dance.  (There's a
couple of videos up of it which each show people who don't have hold of
it yet.)

I wrote this one which has English figures that have already infiltrated
contra dance (poussette, dolphin hey); even though it's not standard
contra figures (and the right hand turn halfway isn't an allemande) I
think contra dancers will like it.

MOVEMENT AFOOT
Alan Winston - thought of it at AmWeek, Jul 3, 2013
longways duple minor
Tune: "Steciaks" in waltz book II, by Larry Unger

A1: 1-2: Men set forward to women (boureeish, stamping optional)
     3-4: Men fall back as women come forward
     5-6: All turn single R
     7-8: All RH turn halfway

A2: As above, with women leading.  Keep right hands ...

B1: 1-4: ... take left hands as well  for Clockwise half poussette
(progressed)
     5-8: contra-style Mad Robin (W1 and M2 through the middle first)

B2: 1-8: 1s acting as a unit, dolphin hey for three
          (M1 turns round coming out of the mad robin to give Left shoulder
          to M2, W1 takes the lead, giving right to M2 on the other side,
          M1 takes the lead to arrive progressed and proper.)

NOTE: Alan is agreeable to couple-dance style variations in the
half-poussette,
and in general hopes for a spirit of flirtatious play.

Here's a video into which I had no input, where some of the dancers have
the spirit.  (They don't seem to understand that in A1 1-2 the women
should stand their ground rather than falling back, but it's an
acceptable variation.)

-- Alan