[Callers] Microphones and/or technique for a deep voice.

Jeff Kaufman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed May 18 19:41:08 PDT 2016

* Lots of low frequency sound gets muddy and makes it hard to hear
what's happening.
* Typical dynamic microphones output extra bass when you're close to
them ("proximity effect")

The standard way to deal with this is to use the mixer's EQ to turn
down the lows.  This is something most sound people will do with most
callers, and works pretty well.

I don't think you should hold the mic farther away or switch to a mic
that doesn't have a this proximity effect, since any mixer can easily
compensate.  Just check with the sound person to make sure they know
to turn down the lows on your channel.  Tell them it's ok if you don't
sound quite like yourself if that's what's needed to make it
intelligible.

Jeff