[Callers] Grand Square in a contra?

David Harding via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 6 19:46:52 PDT 2016

Hi Luke, thanks for a great weekend.  I'm piping up as a dancer who had
hoped that you would call a grand square in a contra formation after the
discussion here.  Tonight I find myself in an analytical frame of mind,
thinking about where we stumbled, in the hope that you (and others) will
keep calling this dance and have great success with it.

I'm from Illinois, but a regular at the two Wisconsin weekends
(IndepenDance and Squirrel Moon).  The programs tend to be dominated by
contras, but with enough squares so most dancers are familiar with the
basic concepts.  I haven't been keeping count, but it feels as though
most weekends include one dance with a grand square, and I felt that
there were sufficient dancers on Sunday who knew the grand square figure
that we should have been fine.

Personally, I struggled to remember which direction to start as we
flip-flopped from side to side.  I think a lot of us were disoriented
that way.  Even in a square dance with rotating partners, one role
usually stays home and can anchor the orientation.

Part of my problem was not (yet) having internalized my identity as part
of a right or left couple in a four-facing-four.  I don't need to think
any more when I'm addressed as a gent (or lady), as a middle or inside
or outside.  I know when I'm a head or a side. I know where to find my
corner wherever I am at the moment.  But I don't recall dancing a
four-facing-four where the right couples did something different from
the left couples.

My two cents in the interest of continuous improvement.

-Dave Harding