[Callers] tips for teaching dancing the "other" role?

Winston, Alan P. via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jul 5 12:50:57 PDT 2016

On 7/5/2016 11:32 AM, Susan Pleck via Callers wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm to lead a workshop/extended intro lesson at a local dance this
> Saturday on gender-free dancing/dancing the "other" role/switching
> roles.  Not having done this before, I'd appreciate any thoughts or
> advice about what this should include.  For the gender-free aspect,
> I'm not sure there's much to discuss, really; ir'd be more just giving
> dancers a chance to practice responding to different terms.  For
> dancing the other role, though, what points of emphasis do you think
> would be most useful?  Two that come to mind are swing
> positioning/giving weight, and figures such as a chain where the
> actions of the two roles are different.

I think swing practice from the "other" position, with coaching, is a
good idea.

Also, like it or not, most flourishes are led by the gent/band/lark
role, and that's pretty different when you switch.  So a few words on
leading (including that you don't have to have flourishes at all,
better never than late bt when "late" is, that leads are invitations and
can be declined without prejudice, that twirls are generally
accomplished by the follow rather than by the lead) and on following
(being aware that people are gonna try to lead you in stuff,  how to
decline leads you don't want to follow) might be helpful.

-- Alan