[Callers] tips for teaching dancing the "other" role?

Susan Pleck via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jul 5 11:32:40 PDT 2016

Hi folks,
I'm to lead a workshop/extended intro lesson at a local dance this Saturday on gender-free dancing/dancing the "other" role/switching roles.  Not having done this before, I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice about what this should include.  For the gender-free aspect, I'm not sure there's much to discuss, really; ir'd be more just giving dancers a chance to practice responding to different terms.  For dancing the other role, though, what points of emphasis do you think would be most useful?  Two that come to mind are swing positioning/giving weight, and figures such as a chain where the actions of the two roles are different.
thank you!Susan PleckOakland, CA