[Callers] Floor Space Requirement

Jonathan Sivier via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Aug 1 10:35:11 PDT 2016

    I've used 25 sq ft per couple as a target number for contra dance
floor space.  This is very similar to the 1.5 sq yard per person
mentioned below (that would result in 27 sq ft per couple).  I usually
plan on twice as much room for English dances.  Of course these are just
Rules-of-Thumb and not immutable Laws of Nature.  ;-)

    Here are a few possible dances, including another by Orace Johnson.

Money in Both Pockets
Orace Johnson
duple proper or improper
Adapted from the chestnut contra

A1 - 1's do-si-do as a couple with 2nd Lady (1-4),
      Circle left 3 hands round (5-8) (1's and 2nd Lady)
A2 - 1's do the same with 2nd man (1-8)
B1 - Down the hall 4 in line, 1's in the center, turn alone (1-4),
      Return and bend the line to a circle (5-8)
B2 - Circle left (1-4),
      Star left (5-8)

Broken Sixpence
Don Armstrong
duple improper

1 - do-si-do your neighbor
2 - men do-si-do in the center
3 - women do-si-do in the center
4 - actives swing in the center
5 - down the hall 4 in line, actives in the middle,
     turn alone
6 - come back to place, bend the line to a circle
7 - circle left
8 - star left back

    The orginal message mentioned "Jefferson and Lincoln".  I'm not
familiar with that one, but it may be a variation on the name for the
dance I have down as "Jefferson's Reel".

Jefferson's Reel
Dudley Briggs; adapted from Jefferson and Liberty
duple proper or improper

1 - circle left
2 - circle right
3 - star right
4 - star left
5 - 1's down the outside
6 - return to place
7 - down the hall 4 in line, 1's in the center
8 - all back up, 1's arch joined hands,
     2's duck through the arch to meet new neighbors

    A similar dance which includes a swing is:

Saturday Night Stroll
Mavis McGaugh
duple improper

1 - Circle left
2 - Circle right
3 - Gents do-si-do
4 - Ladies do-si-do
5-6 1's balance and swing
7 - Down the hall 4 in line, 1's in the center
8 - All back up, 1's arch joined hands,
     2's duck through the arch to meet new neighbors

   You also might consider some easy circle mixers such as Circassian
Circle and La Bastringue.

    Good luck.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!