[Callers] Floor Space Requirement

Linda Leslie via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Aug 1 07:51:32 PDT 2016

Hi, Rich!
A couple of thoughts that I have:
I would make sure that I asked about the wedding couple’s definition of “modern contra”. Their actual definition might help make your programming easier; of course, the opposite is also true! Does this mean no squares, no circle mixers, no sicilian circles?
I would also ask them about what their goals are for their dance. If it is mostly to please the contra dancers, that is important to know; but if it is to get the non-contra dancing families and friends dancing together, then you have a way in to get permission to do some programming with those desires in mind.
Do they want gender role-free terminology used? Asking this may encourage them to think about their attendees.

As for “modern contras” that are a bit easier, I do have a few listed on my webpage. Do Si Three is a great way to get non-dancers used to dancing, as well as progressing. And since it was written not so very long ago, I assume it is defined as a “modern contra”   ;-)

After the concept of progressing, the most challenging part of doing “modern contras” is how to end a swing. So dances in which this is a bit easier to figure out might be helpful to you. An example is the dance below; however, you will need room up and down, since the P swing is across. This dance (like most contras), can be done as a sicilian circle; this formation is a great choice, as aefallon suggested in her note to you.  There are also a number of Becket dances that might be considered. I have included one below by Orace Johnson.

As for floor space: I saved some advice from John Sweeney and Martha Wild, when this question came up a while back. Here is what they each said:
  We usually plan 1.5 square yards / person.  35 feet x 16
feet = 62 sq.yds. so 40 people will be able to dance comfortably.  60
people is starting to get tight.
John Sweeney

And from Martha (this is a digest of what she shared):
20 feet across for two contra lines
Length of the hall, divided by 4 determines the number of couples in the line.

I hope you have a great experience! Do let us know how the event goes!
Linda

Que Guapo  by Linda Leslie
Contra/Improper/Beginner
A1 -----------
Circle left
Circle right
A2 -----------
Right hand star
Left hand star
B1 -----------
Partner do si do
Partner 2 hand Swing (face these neighbors)
B2 -----------
Forward and Back
Twos arch, Ones Duck

Midwest Folklore
by Orace Johnson
Contra/Becket-CW/Easy

A1 -----------
Circle left three-quarters
Neighbor do si do
Neighbor Balance and Swing
Circle left three-quarters
Partner Do si do
Partner Balance and Swing
     (look left and slide left to a new couple)