[Callers] Floor Space Requirement

Woody Lane via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Aug 1 14:30:16 PDT 2016

Hi Rich,

Are the bride and groom actual contra dancers?

I would talk with them first. Get a feel for their comfort about
contras, and also dancing in general. Ask them if they waltz. If you
hear a few moments of silence -- that says a lot about their dancing.
Assure them that everyone will have a great time.

With a 145 attendees, why assume that there will only be 40 dancers (20
couples)? Maybe there will be only 40 if all the dances you call are
modern contras. But if you, as the MC for that part of the event, can
get all the attendees on the dance floor (or at least 100+), all happy
and celebrating -- would that be an option? Would that be what the
couple really wants but is either narrow in their perspective or doesn't
know how to articulate it?

This weekend, I called a wedding for some folks who wanted contras.
That's what they advertised. Well, yes, except that the bride and groom
had really never waltzed or had done real contras.

Nonetheless, contras was what they had in their heads. There were 80
attendees. The dance area was a relatively narrow rectangle of grass.
But we began with a Grand March -- which everyone (and I mean everyone)
could do, with a wind-up spiral. Even the non-dancers could walk through
it and laugh. Then a very phrase-driven circle mixer, then a Virginia
Reel style of dance. Nearly everyone was on the dance floor, having a
great time. And they stayed on the floor, ignoring the free drinks. Yes,
it was occasionally a bit crowded, but nobody cared. Actually, that's
what I think the wedding couple really wanted -- to have lots of fun on
their special day and share the celebration. They were absolutely
delighted that so many of their non-dancer friends were clearly having a
great time on the dance floor.  (and then we did more dances after a
dessert break, ending with a simple fun mixer.) And at the end of the
evening, they gave me an extra tip on top of my payment.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Woody

--
Woody Lane