[Callers] As in Petronella

Ron Blechner via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Dec 15 11:35:07 PST 2015

Many callers forget that Petronella is spin-then-balance, and most modern
"Petronella dances" are balance-then-spin".

So saying, "as in Petronella, balance and spin/move one place to the right"
is not accurate either.

More accurate: "Balance the ring, and as in Petronella, spin/move one place
to the right."

(And the difference also can explain why people clap. The chestnut
Petronella has the stomping on the last beats, whereas there's a
stompy-sized hole at the end of modern balance-then-spin Petronella dances.)

On Dec 15, 2015 2:09 PM, "Bill Olson via Callers" <

> Hi Erik and all, heh heh, I often chuckle at MYSELF when I find myself
saying that same thing: "as in Petronella", when I realize very few of the
dancers have ever danced Petronella.. BUT, after trying to teach the move
with out saying the "P word", I realized that some of the dancers at least
know what the move is and having a percentage of the dancers "doing the
right thing" helps the others., especially those who learn by seeing as
opposed to having something "explained"... (with rights and lefts in it
ugh).. I've found saying: "balance the ring and move one place to the right
while pivoting over your right shoulder" doesn't always get everyone doing
the same thing (hah!), if it doesn't actually freeze some dancers in their
tracks!!

> Now I hear newer callers saying stuff like "balance the ring and
Petronella to the right" or "balance left and Rory to the left". Making new
verbs out of these proper names.. well, whatever works!!!