[Callers] Tempo

jim saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 19:31:54 PDT 2019

While looking for more videos of contra dancing in Denmark, I instead came across a video in which Danish caller Else Bach Nielsen calls a New-England-style square (coincidentally written by Tom Hinds) to the music of visiting American band Phantom Power:

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJV6_2SWg0s (~116 BPM)

I don't know whether the caller set the tempo or left it the band.

--Jim

On Sep 22, 2019, at 6:55 PM, jim saxe <Jim.Saxe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked for videos of contra dancing in Denmark and found these three:
>
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhxwVuoI2g (119-120 BPM)
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4KB-uSWkKc (117-118 BPM)
>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALEBBtUbc (~113 BPM)
>
> These all seem to be from the same event.  It's possible that a wider sampling of contra dances in Denmark (which may not be available Youtube) would support Tom's recollection of faster tempos.
<snip>