[Callers] Tempo

jim saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 18:55:01 PDT 2019

I looked for videos of contra dancing in Denmark and found these three:

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhxwVuoI2g (119-120 BPM)
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4KB-uSWkKc (117-118 BPM)
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALEBBtUbc (~113 BPM)

These all seem to be from the same event.  It's possible that a wider sampling of contra dances in Denmark (which may not be available Youtube) would support Tom's recollection of faster tempos.

The videos do seem to support Tom's observation about the infrequency of improvisation.  On casual viewing, without trying to look carefully at each visible dancer in each video, I didn't notice anyone twirling out of swings much less doing dips, etc., and I noticed only one place where it seemed that someone (partially obscured from the camera by other dancers) embellished a nominal courtesy turn with a twirl.

In 1992, I attended a conference in Denmark and managed to find my way to a couple of dances while I was there.  I don't have a specific recollection about the tempos, but if I recall correctly, the events I got to were regular local dances with recorded music (probably on cassette or vinyl).  That might have meant that the callers were in control of variable-speed players.

--Jim