[Callers] Tempos for Contras (was Re: Tempo for Squares)

Rich Goss rich at richgoss.com
Sun Sep 22 09:11:54 PDT 2019

There is a app for iphone or Android called liveBPM.   A lot of bands use it.    I usually have if going when we play.    Very useful tool.    We also use it in rehearsal to identify dips or spikes in the tempo over the course of a set.

We generally try to play between 110 and 120 depending on the set and how it matches up to the dance.     Higher for squares, around 128.

As a caller I will sometimes ask for a tempo range that works well wih a particular dance.

Most of you are probably familiar with liveBPM.   It’s been around a while.

Rich