[Callers] Roll Away Square

jim saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 10:56:41 PDT 2019

The March 1975 issue of _Sets In Order_ magazine has this on page 39;

     CHEROKEE ROAD (42)
     By Ken Down, Scotia, New York

     Heads right and left thru
     Cross trail thru
     Separate go around two make a line of four
     Just the boys roll a half sashay
     Just the girls roll a half sashay
     Just the centers roll a half sashay
     Everyone roll a half sashay
     Left allemande

You can see it in context by going to Sets In Order index  at

     http://newsquaremusic.com/sioindex.html

and clicking on the thumbnail of the March 1975 cover.

I believe the parenthesized number 42 indicates the routine's highest numbered call in the recommended teaching order at the time.

As usual for routines published in MWSD sources, no information is included about the timing.  The routine above differs from the one in Sue's query in that it lacks occurrences of "forward and back", has the "boys" doing the first roll away, and has the last roll away followed by left allemande with corner instead of partner swing.  But it clearly uses the same gimmick and even has the same way of setting up the lines of four.

I happened to find the routine above via a Google search for "just the girls roll" that turned up a hit on the SIO Double Square Dance Yearbook of 1976.  So far, I haven't found an earlier example of the "one gender roll; other gender roll; centers roll; all roll" gimmick.  Such an earlier example, if one exists, might have been notated with "ladies" or "women" or even "gals" instead of "girls" or have "rollaway" instead of "roll" or lack the word "just" or have "TWO girls/ladies/..." instead of "THE girls/ladies/..." etc.  Or it might have been published in some source that hasn't be put online and found its way into Google's full-text index.

--Jim

> On Sep 16, 2019, at 6:58 AM, Sue C. Hulsether via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know the source for this square?
>
> Roll Away
> A1:  Heads* forward and back
>          Heads right and left thru
> A2:  Heads pass thru, cross trails; go around 2
>         Make lines at sides (gent, gent, lady, lady)
>         8 go forward and back
> B1:  Ladies roll away*
>         Gents roll away
>         Centers roll away
>          Everybody roll away
> B2:    Swing Pt
> *Note:  roll away is right-person rolls to the left, no matter the gender-role.
>

> Thanks,
>
> sue
<snip>