[Callers] Public Dance, Ideas Wanted

Jonathan Janzen jcgj95 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 01:07:27 PDT 2019

I will be calling a dance at our local State Fair next month. It will be
open to the public, and we've also invited several Contra Communities
around the State to join us in helping to introduce people to Contra
Dancing, and other forms of Folk Dance. I suspect that most people of the
general public will stay and watch/join maybe 1 or 2 dances, and then they
will move onto the next exciting thing at the Fair.
We will have about 3.5 hours to fill, and I want a good variety of dances
to choose from.
So my question to you is, what simple, fun, beginner-friendly dances would
you recommend? Being able to "build up" to more advanced dances I don't
think will be very possible, simply because we expect a steady stream of
people joining and leaving at any given moment, so I need a variety of
simple and fun dances to share that don't require much prior experience.
I already have several ideas as to some dances to include, but I'd love to
hear your suggestions.
They don't have to be Contra-specific, as I'm planning to throw in a few
circle mixers, and a couple easy English Country Dances as well.
Maybe Hole in the Wall, or even the Virginia Reel... The genre of the
dances isn't that important.
Just any other fun, family dances that you can send my way. Many thanks in
advance.
I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Excitedly,
JJ.