[Callers] Brain Dead - Need Suggestions

Rebecca ffrogg526 at aol.com
Sun Aug 18 06:47:37 PDT 2019

Hi Linda,

I each elementary music. I would be more than happy to help you with this if you still need it. My recommendations.....

1. Teaching the form is great but the little ones will have the hardest time with it and lose interest QUICKLY.
2. If this school event is like mine was, it’ll be an hour and a half of babysitting while parents sit on the side playing on their phones or talking. Maybe you’ll have better luck with this.
3. Actual contras are really hard for elementary aged kids as a whole. And I’ve been teaching them to my kids for years. They have a hard time with the progressions and they will not do a ballroom swing.
4. Several folks have suggested Heel Toe Polka. Great choice!  Also Sasha!  My kids can’t get enough Sasha!  Scatter mixers are your friend!  I get back to my classroom tomorrow and I can send you some options if you’d like them. The Vowel Mixer, La Bastraingue, Circle waltz Mixer, Chimes of Dunkirk, Gallopede are all good choices. If you have a large group of kinders, there’s a dance called Kindergarten Reel that you can do with everyone but it’s accessible for Kindergarten.
5. You’ll be calling most of the night. They don’t have the muscle memory that contra dancers have. They need so much more guidance.

I wish you the best of luck!  If you have any questions, I would love to guide you in dealing with folk dancing and kiddos. Feel free to email me directly!

Rebecca

Sent from my iPad