[Callers] Larks and Robins

karl ksenseman at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 3 14:29:40 PDT 2019

While I must admit that of all the gender neutral terms that I've seen
passed around I prefer larks and ravens. First choice is still men and
ladies but it is mostly up to the community. Now comes larks or robins
for some reasonable concerns. What do we do if we are to use robins and
call a dance with a 'mad' robin? Not that it might be confusing for the
dancer in the robin roll but are we not now describing the person in the
robin roll as an angry dancer? I'm sure someone will consider it some
type of derogatory reflection.  It seems as though whatever terms one
might use, someone will be offended. At sometime we must realize that
the terms we use are not used to degrade or humiliate anyone and that
reasonable people can come to reasonable solutions if they choose to.

Karl