[Callers] Dolphin Heys in contra dances

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jun 14 03:53:08 PDT 2016

When teaching a Dolphin Hey to people who are not familiar with the concept
I get the leading person to put their hands behind them and the trailing
person to hold those hands, then I get them to dance the hey for three
without the active couple trading places with each other.  Once they
understand the main track that they have to follow then I explain the
trading of places at each end of the hey.  One of the keys to success with
that is to persuade the leading person to go wide at the end of the line, so
that the trailer can turn in front of them.

Just Skylarking by Rhodri Davies has a Dolphin Hey

Since you can see the dance in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKdR6B7hnw I assume he won't mind me
posting it here:

First Couples Improper
A1:	(Balance the Circle; Petronella Turn) x 2
A2:	Neighbour Balance & Swing - end facing down
B1:	Lines of Four Down The Hall (4); Dixie Twirl
	Lines of Four Up the Hall - finish facing #2 Lady
B2:	Dolphin Hey - finish with #1s looking down the hall for a new
couple, #2s looking up the hall

Dixie Twirl: #1s (in middle) Arch, #2 Lady leads the line through the arch
while #2 Man leads to the other end - no letting go

Dolphin Hey: #1 couple (in the middle) act as a single unit, but switch
leader at each end of the Hey

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362