[Callers] Dolphin Heys in contra dances

Yoyo Zhou via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 12 23:40:19 PDT 2016

Hi Luke,

I also love dolphin heys!

Earlier this year I made a substitution of a dolphin hey for an ordinary
hey for 3 (with the 1s acting as a unit). That appears as a figure in
several contra dances (e.g. Kittyhawk Hornpipe by Don Armstrong or Nils's
Maggot by Martha Wild, where you end up back where you started, 1s in the
middle, in a line of 4 to go down the hall, so it's forgiving even if you
don't get the hey quite right).

I think it worked well for the crowd at the time, but I haven't determined
how best to teach the dolphin hey to contra dancers. I used a
demonstration. Any suggestions?

Yoyo Zhou