[Callers] Warm weather dancing

Read Weaver via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 2 22:17:48 PDT 2016

Have both ice water and cool but not iced water available—many folks can’t drink much ice water at once. Have more pitchers in more places than usual. Don’t skimp on number or size of cups. Frequently say (“for those of you who just came in…”) that there will be a little extra time between every dance for people to get a drink of water.

A little ice wrapped in a bandana and that laid around one’s neck makes a dramatic difference—but I’d only do it if you’ve got people who can prepare them for everyone. The ice needs to be well wrapped and the ends secured (pieces of ice on the floor are a serious hazard) and they shouldn’t be over-filled (drips on most floors are sticky rather than slippery, but that’s a hazard too).

Unless you already know the electrical outlets are well positioned, folks should bring extension cords as well as fans. Don’t assume windows should be open—inside may be cooler than outside at first. But once it is cooler outside, box fans in the windows will be good. (Is this a windowless room? Google image search suggests it might be. Oy.)

The Corvallis forecast has the temperature dropping fairly quickly—you might be able to get away with more vigorous dances later in the program (if your room has windows) (but maybe not—you’ll want options). And the organizers might consider starting later for the same reason.

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org