[Callers] Warm weather dancing

Linda Mrosko via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 2 16:04:08 PDT 2016

In Texas, when the hall is hot/humid, we take two breaks to allow a cool
down.  We also have volunteers who bring electric fans positioned at
various angles toward the dance floor.  And don't forget the musicians!
They need a fan, too.

But you're on the right track picking dances that give half the people
short rest breaks during at least some of the dances.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Lindsey Dono via Callers <

> Hi Callers,
>
> I’m booked to call a dance this Saturday; the temperature is predicted to
> be 98F. This is an unusually high temperature for the area and time of
> year- this organization does not hold summer dances.
>
> I’ve emailed the organizers asking for their thoughts/contingency plans.
> My first priority is keeping the dancers safe.
>
> While I’m waiting to hear back from them, I’m brainstorming ideas for how
> to make a hot weather dance a safe and fun experience (presuming it isn’t
> cancelled due to heat).
>
> Here’s what I’ve come up with generally:
> -Remind dancers to take time to hydrate/change shirts etc rather than
> rushing to maximize the number of dances called.
> -Offer ice/popsicles at the break.
>
> And specifically as a caller:
> -Run dances shorter.
> -Moderate band tempo
> -Select dances where ladies/gents/ones/twos/first corners/second corners
> get “solos.” The hall tends to consist of two long lines, so I imagine that
> I might want to make shorter lines if I call something uneven.
> -Avoid butterfly whirls
> -Walk all dances, but avoid unnecessarily long walk-throughs.
>
> Other thoughts? Are there figures that tend to take less energy? I’m
> imaging that sequential balances are less tiring than full heys, but I’m
> not certain of this.
>
> Also, suggestions for interesting dances with more recovery time?
> A dance that comes to mind is Tecumseh (Dylan Bustin).
>
> Thanks!
> Lindsey
> (Tacoma, WA)

*Looking forward,Linda S. Mrosko*