Below are a few more notes from my wife, Dela Murphy. She is not signed up
for this listserv, so I am sharing on her behalf.
How very cool, Chrissy! :) Go Belfast Flying Shoes!
Another few notes:
- It's great to partner with an organization that has a broad audience that
can co-market to bring in new dancers, or to offer the dance during a
pre-established event/festival. This way, you can maximize your investment
and open your audience.
- Plan for children to attend. Plan for lots of diverse audience members
with differing levels of ability, including different levels of
- Have a handful of "planted" experienced dancers coming who are ready to
dance with newbies - not each other.
- Have a rain plan in place. In Congress Square, we cancel by 10am without
payment, and do our best to postpone to a later date. All marketing online
is updated asap in case of a cancellation.
- We provide ice water from a drink dispenser and compostable cups.
- Be sure to bring promotional materials like flyers or postcards. Be very
clear in your marketing about regular dance series location and provide a
website with more information if available. (People generally won't call a
number to get more information.)
- Consider bringing a large, outdoor stand up sign that promotes your
organization or website.
All the best,
dela at delahere.com
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 18:05:48 +0000
From: Chrissy Fowler <ktaadn_me(a)hotmail.com>
To: organizers shared weight <organizers(a)lists.sharedweight.net>
Subject: [Organizers] outdoor dances in parks?
Anyone have tips/advice for ways to successfully structure a free (no
charge) outdoor dance series for the general public in public parks?
* Tips for dancing on grass/pavement
* Dance repertoire
* Promotion, including language to help welcome in non-dancers
* Hydration that doesn't involve single-use plastic bottles from
aquifer- draining profiteers (ooops, crankpot editorializing...)
We're working with our parks & rec director and other local groups to
produce a series this summer. Would love any 'hot tips" from the hive.
Belfast Flying Shoes, Belfast ME
** ** **
Dance Calling | Transcription | Belfast Flying Shoes