[Organizers] Organizers Digest, Vol 31, Issue 4

Emily Addison via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri May 5 19:03:40 PDT 2017

​Sorry that I've been slow on replying since my initial post. Consumed with
family commitments.

I've been catching up on what people have said and sounds like not much
success.

As per the question as to what boosting is - it's paying facebook money to
feature your event/post.
Here is some info: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/547448218658012

We haven't tried it for our local contra dance.

It was my local community association that has done it twice for our events
this spring.  One was a spring cleanup where we usually get 40 people and
we got 70... our biggest attendance ever. We don't think anything was
different from what we've done other years (or weather) but maybe our
memory is off.  The thing with our community association is that the ad
specifically targeted people within 1km to capture our neighbourhood
only.... paid $10 for that one.

This would be harder with a contra dance as you'd want to target your
audience in a different way. (Supposedly there are various choices for
targeting audiences but I haven't done it).

Here is a comparison of five of our posts

Post  /// # of Post Clicks /// # of REactions, comments & Shares
1 / 42 / 11
2 / 7 / 0
3 / 132 / 78 THIS WAS THE BOOSTED ONE
4 / 6 / 0
5 / 14 /5

As you can see, the boosted one seemingly got a lot more attention.

I have heard that the numbers can be off because of fake facebook accounts
but given my limited knowledge, it's been really effective for my community
association.

Maybe we'll give it a try at Ottawa Contra and can report back.

Anyway, good to know others haven't yet found it effective.

And yes... .... so many other ways to reach out to new folks.  Just
checking out options!

Emily in Ottawa