[Organizers] pay parity for callers & musicians

Heitzso via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jul 31 08:17:14 PDT 2017

We, Gainesville, Georgia's contra dance, organized and sponsored a
weekend retreat mid-July for weekend contra dance organizers from the SE.
Saturday evening was dedicated to discussing local dance issues.
We had representatives from 7 weekend dances and 9 local dances attending
with organizers arriving from as far away as Memphis and Baltimore.
We covered an incredible range of topics, not least pertaining to
booking and paying talent.
I encourage other areas of the country to do likewise. It was informative.

My understanding is that national quality weekend talent is paid from
$600 to $1000 each for a weekend.
Usually all musicians receive the same pay with some variation with the
caller.
If the contract is with the band then you don't control how the money is
split within the band.
BUT ... every weekend dance is different.
What are your needs, etc.?

Transportation costs and food and housing costs and "plus one" costs can
add up.
Being clear up front is critical.
Lining up tours or being a stop on a tour is helpful.
Top national bands may play a fun close gig at a lower cost for if it's
not cutting into another weekend gig.
Etc.

Heitzso
http://atgaga.com