[Musicians] Danceability of versions of the same tune (Sleepy-Eyed Joe)

jim saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 16:46:19 PDT 2019

First, I agree that of the "Sleepy Eyed Joe" recordings I've cited, the Enloe version is the odd one out in terms of basic melody.  Besides the transcription Erik cited in _Old-Time Fiddler's Repertory_, there's a transcription of Enloe's version in the Mel Bay book _Ozark Fiddle Music_, by Drew Beisswenger:

https://books.google.com/books?id=2vm8OaHq_WcC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=%22sleepy+eyed+joe%22+enloe&source=bl&ots=vCRm4poWy-&sig=VfhzvlIp2s9LDMQWdz23EKU1G5A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6pYT3y__JAhUM9WMKHfoQCHIQ6AEIQDAH#v=onepage&q=%22sleepy%20eyed%20joe%22%20enloe&f=false

Beisswenger also cites yet another transcription published by Stacy Phillips.

I found a transcription of the tune played by Foghorn here:

     https://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes.html
         Linked from a large collection of tunes at
         https://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes.html

Also, while composing this message I discovered that I botched an earlier attempt to post a link to a video of Foghorn playing "Sleepy Eyed Joe" at Malloy's Pub and instead posted a duplicate link to the version from the _Weiser Sunrise_ album.  Here's the correct link:

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDlpjkhJ0To

(Note that the attribution of the tune to Blake appears to be in error.)

Next, I agree with Erik and Meg that solid rhythmic backup can contribute a lot to danceability.  That said, when I listen to the two Norman Blake versions

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AntWbzdq60
         Solo guitar

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rek6WqLfUVI
         Mandolin (with backup, and alternating melodic lead
         with a fiddler)

it seems to me that his playing on the second version is somehow more danceable than on the first version, even without the backup.  Of course, I don't have a multi-track studio recording to experiment with, and it may be that I can't trust myself to listen to a version with backup and imagine it without backup.  Still, that's how it seems to me.  I'd like to know what anyone else thinks about it.  And as I said in an earlier message, you might want to try listening to both Blake versions with the YouTube playback speed set to 1.25.

--Jim