[Musicians] Danceability of versions of the same tune (Sleepy-Eyed Joe)

Erik Hoffman erik at erikhoffman.com
Fri Sep 27 11:01:38 PDT 2019

First, the tune played by Norman Blake as well as the Sleepy Eyed Joe by Foghorn is not the same tune as the one played by Lyman Enloe. There is a transcription of the tune Lyman plays called Sleepy Joe in R. P. Christeson's "Old-Time Fiddler's Repertory." It's Hoedown #24 in book one.
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Time-Fiddlers-Repertory-Traditional-Tunes/dp/0826204392

The guitar version in Norman Blake's video misses the drive most of us strive for when playing for dances. It's not that a solo guitar can't do it, but it's missing the distinctive beat markers. The other versions all have backup instruments pushing the drive along...

~Erik Hoffman