[Musicians] Question About Sharing Music Notation

songer at portcoll.com songer at portcoll.com
Mon Oct 30 10:39:06 PDT 2017

Hi All--

I have thought about this issue a lot. As David writes below, most composers
are eager to have their music spread around and played--even those who have
gone on to license their tunes through the various licensing organizations.
However, some composers do not own the copyrights to their own tunes
(especially in Scotland, where it is common for a music publisher to hold
the copyright or in cases where the composer is deceased and the copyright
is owned by the estate). And once in a while, a composer will not want
his/her music posted online. Publishing companies are less likely to grant
permission even though the tune in question might be easily found elsewhere
on the web. Some composers want any publication of their tune to be exactly
as they wrote it, not a particular version someone is playing.

I do post tunes under copyright on websites but with limitations. As
director of the Portland Megaband, I use the Megaband website to post the
music that band members will be working on. Much of this is recent music.
But the part of that site that contains the music is password
protected--only available to current band members. We change the password
every year. (I know of several other groups that use DropBox for this same
purpose.) This is only scant protection for copyright holders because once
someone has a music file in pdf format, it can go anywhere very easily. But
it is better than having the music available for the world to download. In
some cases, I contact the composer before we post to the Megaband site. If I
have made any substantial changes to the tune, such as changing the key, or
in once case the meter, I always contact the composer before using the tune
in the Megaband. So far, everyone has given permission.

I also post tunes on the Portland Collection website (am WAY behind in that
endeavor). Those tunes are available to everyone without limitation. In the
case of tunes under copyright, I obtain the composer's permission before
posting. If I were ever to post an arrangement of a tune specific to a
band/recording, I would obtain permission from the artists before posting on
the Portland Collection site. These extra steps make me feel better about
posting music on the web.

Sue Songer

Message: 1