[Musicians] Learning/sharing/remembering rhythms

Meg Dedolph via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Feb 15 20:25:58 PST 2017

I tend to work mostly in a trio or quartet, and we don't use written music.
We also have terrible memories. So we tend to limit ourselves to one
"thing" - rhythmic variation, etc. - per tune or set, and everyone knows
what it is and we've practiced it so if someone calls "thing!" it happens
pretty much together. But that's the benefit of working in a smaller group,
I think. It's a lot easier to make grooves up on the fly when it's only
four people.

The times I've been involved with a large band arrangement (dance camp,
etc.) with 15-20 people on stage, we did make handwritten signs and it was
someone's job to make decisions about when different things were going to
happen, hold up the sign and cue the group. It worked fine, but it's
inelegant conducting, imo. And it was someone's full-time occupation to
drive the bus, so to speak.

I like Sarah's idea - it seems to make a lot of sense and be workable, and
you don't have to worry about someone not happening to see a sign that the
leader held up, etc. Thinking back to when I played a lot of percussion and
did a lot of hand drumming, that was kind of how things worked in drum
circles.

I hope some of this is helpful?

Meg