[Musicians] Learning/sharing/remembering rhythms

Sarah Gowan via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Feb 14 09:18:05 PST 2017

I generally avoid charts, signs and other extra visual aids because they can confuse more than they help and think a leader can conduct it by making space for the change in rhythm. A trick we use in our open band is for the leader to pare down the sound to a soloist or small section and one rhythm player who sets the groove. Then the leader adds in other players indicating that they should play the same rhythm or groove. Most people figure out how to join in once the pattern has been established. We generally don’t do it on the first tune of a set because the caller is still calling. It’s a good variation for the middle or last tune of the set.

Sarah