[Musicians] Learning/sharing/remembering rhythms

Emily Addison via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Feb 14 09:07:41 PST 2017

Hi fellow musicians. :)

Up here in Ottawa, we just had a great workshop with David Kaynor and
George Wilson.... .... it was all about non-melody for melody players.

One of the ideas we talked about was playing rhythm - something very
familiar to me as a contra piano player.

The challenge we've had with our community band (10 people) is how to get
everyone on the same 1-2 rhythms/grooves.  When we do non-melody, it's
everyone doing something different which sounds like a wall of sound.

Do any of you have tricks for sharing rhythms?

In particular, I liked the idea proposed by David in terms of having
sentences that remind you of certain rhythms. But what I'd love is a chart
showing names for different rhythms and related, where to emphasize beats
or drop beats.

Thoughts?? ??? ????

So much of what we do is intuitive but with a large group, there's only 2-3
of us working as a team right now.

With thanks,
Emily in Ottawa