[Musicians] worthiness of a tune for contra?

James Saxe via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jul 30 18:52:25 PDT 2015

After Emily Addison asked about the tunes in this video

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DkJQ9xNGuU

several people commented that they found the phrasing of
the jig (Jim Rumboldt's Tune) deceptive.  I'm curious to
know what any of you--or other list members--think after
listening to it at 1.25x speed, as described in my previous
message (quoted below).

I did a little searching for other videos of the tune.
This one

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_E3qeZAfQ

is played at about 165 bpm.  If it were played at a
normal contra tempo and with a clear four-beat intro, but
otherwise in the same style as in the video, I think it
would be fine for dancing.  Yes, there are a couple places
where, if I started the video at a random point in the
tune, I could momentarily wonder whether a particular note
was a pick-up note or the true beat 1 of a new phrase.
But, to my ear, there are enough other places where the
phrasing is quite clear so that it's not a problem.  I'd
be interested in reading other people's reactions.

I found another rendition starting about 3:15 in this
video

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnFlmrN1mk

with tempo in the high 140s.  I can't make sense of
the phrasing in this one at all.  It seems to me it's a
different, and genuinely crooked, variant of the tune.
Does anyone disagree.

After watching that last video, I tried searching for abc
notation or pdfs of sheet music or tablature to see whether
I'd find notation for different versions--straight vs.
crooked--of the tune.  So far, however, I haven't turned
up any notation at all.

--Jim

> On Jul 30, 2015, at 1:58 AM, James Saxe <jim.saxe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a mere caller and pretty much a musical muggle, but
> here are some observations about the jig for what they're
> worth.
>
> First off, in the video the jig is played at about 93 or 94
> beats per minute (based on my stopwatch timing, which also
> appears to agree closely with the YouTube time counter).
> You might get a better idea of how it would sound as a dance
> tuen by playing it at 1.25x speed.  (Click on the gear-shaped
> "Settings" button near the lower right of the YouTube video
> frame; then click on the Speed box (typically defaulting
> to "Normal"); then click "1.25" in the menu that pops up.
> YouTube should then play at 1.25x normal speed but with the
> audio pitch-shifted back down to normal pitch.)
<remainder snipped>