[Musicians] worthiness of a tune for contra?

Susan Rachel Lorand via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jul 30 08:37:10 PDT 2015

Hi Emily,

Thanks for sharing these tunes - they were fun to hear!

With the first one, I initially thought I was hearing a slip jig, but
toward the end of the A part it started to sound crooked. Eventually I
figured out how to hear it as 6/8 with 8-bar phrases; it wasn't obvious.

So I'd echo everyone who has already suggested a clear 4-beat intro if you
use this tune for dancing. It might work for a very smooth, flowy dance
(e.g. with lots of heys and gypsies - no balances or long lines). I think
melody players would need to think about conveying not just the phrasing
but the meter itself clearly.

Hope this helps,

Susie Lorand