[Callers] Looking for "fun" dances

Sivier, Jonathan E jsivier at illinois.edu
Wed May 15 09:21:09 PDT 2019

    I lead dances at a local library for their annual Fairy Tale Ball.
We get a variety of people who participate, but my overall impression of
the event is a room full of knee-high princesses.

    I generally start with a no-swing, non-mixer version of Circassian
Circle.  The participants have partners, sometimes more than one, but
they stay together and I don't worry about who is on the right or left.
Instead of ladies and gents to the center I say things like, "Everyone
wearing red to the center," or "Everyone with black hair to the center,"
and so on.

    I then typically do Galopede and that tends to work OK.  After that
I have a variety of dances I like to lead.  Chimes of Dunkirk usually
works well and I do a longways, non-mixer version of the Heel and Toe
Polka that usually works OK.  If the older kids pair with the younger
ones you could do Cumberland Reel and other similar dances.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!