[Callers] Update!

Helle Hill hellehill at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 17:34:40 PDT 2019

About a month ago, I asked for help and suggestions because I was calling a dance for visually impaired students. Thank you to all who responded. Well, the dance was last Saturday. The students ranged in age from 8-17. Many of the partnerships contained two visually impaired dancers. We started with a big circle dance with basic figures and without a progression. They did really well with the basics. We did the Snake dance and since the room had two doors opening out to a deck we took advantage of going outside during the dance. We danced Les Salute, Seven Jumps (modified version so we didn't have to lay on the floor), Bridge Dance, the Chicken dance, and ended with the Snake dance again because the kids loved that one. When we spiraled into the middle, they kept yelling, "Let's see how tight we can get it!" It was so much fun seeing all the smiles and I was told, it was the best Saturday evening activity in all the years they have had the Snowshoe Weekend. I found that they did best with large circles, no progression, and no specific partner. I hope to be able to dance with these kids again and try something maybe a little more challenging with them. Unfortunately, due to privacy concerns I am unable to share pictures. The photos did make me tear up. In all my years of calling, this was one of the best, funnest, and most rewarding gigs.

Helle