[Callers] Leading a 1 hr contra dance

Liz Burkhart burkhart.liz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 05:52:40 PDT 2019

I have a gig coming up at a library wherein I have one hour to teach and
call contra dances. It's a mixed crowd, and I heard there may be a lot of
tweens present. I think I'd like to focus on bigger picture things - moving
up and down the line, swinging, interacting with their set. I imagine I may
even cut out courtesy turns in order to minimize the time we spend on the
lesson. I've taught for small, mostly inexperienced crowds before but I
usually have a lot more time. I'd really rather get them moving than to get
bogged down in teaching. Does anyone have insight, suggestions, or advice?

Thanks,

Liz Burkhart