[Callers] Moves Following Box Circulate

Chris Page chriscpage at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 10:16:31 PDT 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:38 PM Isaac Banner via Callers
<callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've felt like most box circulate dances use the circulate as a buildup into a swing with someone. Looking at http://www.contra.dance/thecallersbox, there are only 12 results for dances with a circulate that isn't followed by a swing and 9 of those results don't include their choreography (grumble grumble), so I can't actually confirm that they belong in the result set.
>
> I feel like there's a lot of potential for dances that have box circulates followed by something other than a swing. Here are a few I've been messing with:

It's hard.

Box circulates often tend to be done in pairs. And you can't (or
shouldn't) transition directly from swing to long waves. So, you've
already got:

Swing one
Eight-beat connector to swing two
Swing two
Eight beat (or 16) transition to long waves
Box circulate
Box Circulate

This leaves 8 to 16 beats to do something after the circulate, which
needs to go directly into a swing. You also need to fit in a
progression somewhere.

Or you could dispose of the neighbor swing, which gives you some
breathing room. The other issue is that the circulate is unusual
enough that it tends to be the signature figure of a dance, with other
figures supporting it.

I did write one, "Out of Circulation", which went from a circulate
directly into a half hey into a swing.

-Chris Page
San Diego