[Callers] How would you teach this? What would you call it?

Luke Donforth luke.donev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 12:49:23 PST 2019

Here's a crack at putting the star burst in a duple improper choreography.

Stellar Star Burst
Contra/Improper

A1 -----------
(16) Neighbor gyre and swing
A2 -----------
(8) Larks/Gents allemande Left 1-1/2
(8) Partner swing
B1 -----------
(8) Long lines, forward and back
(8) Left hand Star 3/4
B2 -----------
(8) Star Burst: ravens/ladies lead out, curve left; larks/gents lead back
in (single progression)
(8) with new neighbors Right hand Star 1x

I'm not positive on the timing of B1 & B2. There are a couple of places to
adjust it. This assumes giving folks a little extra time for the star
burst, with a left hand star 3/4x that probably won't take the full 8
counts. If A2 were circle left 3/4 & partner swing. Then B1 becomes long
lines forward and back with a left hand star 1 & 1/4; which would compress
the starburst into ~6. You could also make it take more time with a double
progression (a wider out, loop, and in; although it might be hard to keep
track of). The gyre and swing at the A1 is pretty forgiving.

I don't know how different the star burst would feel from a poussette; the
two are very similar; and the above sequence could be rendered:

A1 -----------
(16) Neighbor gyre and swing
A2 -----------
(8) Larks allemande Left 1-1/2
(8) Partner swing
(8) Long lines, forward and back
(8) Circle Right 3/4
(8) Poussette (larks start push) to progress
(8) With next neighbors Circle Left 1X

I think I'd rather dance the first one than the second; but I'm not sure
it's worth the teaching time.