[Callers] New(?) dance, transitions?

Luke Donforth luke.donev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 07:00:25 PST 2019

Hi all,

I was thinking about standard transitions; and how similar flows could
possibly be created while still adding variation to our dance diet.

Chain-> (1x or 1/2) hey -> balance and swing works well; but gyre & swing
doesn't work well there, because you've set up left shoulder at the end of
the hey.

allemande left -> (1x or 1/2) hey -> (gyre &) swing works reasonably,
because you've set up the other shoulder in the hey.

What about coming into the hey from a Sea-Saw? For instance:

Contra/Improper

A1 -----------
(16) Neighbor gyre and swing
A2 -----------
(8) Promenade across the Set
(8) Ladies Sea-Saw 1.5x
B1 -----------
(8) 1/2 Hey, ladies passing partner right shoulders
(8) Partner swing
B2 -----------
(8) Long lines, forward and back
(8) Ladies allemande Left 1-1/2

I think that flows well, but I don't have dancers to play with at the
moment. If anyone more used to dancing the traditional ladies roll wants to
talk about muscle memory and flow, I'd appreciate it. Would the sea saw and
left allemande just be too outside the realm of familiar to be fun?

Assuming this is a new composition that works, I'll call it Sinister Ravens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
Luke Donforth
Luke.Donforth at gmail.com <Luke.Donev at gmail.com>