[Callers] Gate vs Hand Cast

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Sun Oct 14 01:47:43 PDT 2018

Hi Don,

              I think that the default definition now is that the pivot point is at the joined hands, but diverse choreography means that it can be anywhere in order to achieve the desired effect.

              For example in Bob Isaacs’ March of the Triplets, the second pair of Gates have to move sideways while rotating, to make room for another couple to fit in line between the two Gates.

              It is often worth clarifying who is doing the Gating and what the destination is.

              I agree that choreography interpretation can be a challenge.  I have never understood dances like Devil’s Dream and Beaux/Boys of Oakhill where the dance finishes with a Right & Left Through, so that the couples are in line, but starts with a completely different configuration.  All the dancers have to move from lines into a new position in zero time.

              I strongly suspect that dances like this were originally Two Changes of Rights & Lefts; the dancers could use the final Pull By Left to get to their new position.  The addition of the Courtesy Turn really messes the choreography up.  Or maybe it was just lousy choreography :-)

            Happy dancing,

                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802 940 574

http://www.modernjive.com for Modern Jive Events & DVDs