[Callers] Politically Correct?

John Freeman johnfreem at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 14:48:12 PDT 2018

I have to agree with Tom. The only push back I have ever received was from two female callers I helped get started. This was in the early 90s. I have otherwise never had a complaint about calling singing square dances as they have been traditionally called/sung.

That said, I try to know my crowd before I accept a gig. A so-called politically correct dance would likely not be my cup of whiskey. These days I mostly call “barn dances” and "community dances”.  I have learn to adapt my calls to each crowd. This has worked very well for me.

I only call to live music. This is a long-standing personal choice that has certainly cost me many gigs. These days, I cannot expect most bands to know the music for the singing square dances I grew up with.

Keep on dancing!

John B. Freeman, SFTPOCJ