[Callers] Dance logs and record-keeping

Winston, Alan P. winston at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 6 18:22:12 PST 2018

Oddly enough, I was just in Seattle at the end of February and had a
conversation about this with Lindsey Dono, who told me to my surprise
that dancers at Lake City, at least, will complain about getting the
same dance two weeks in a row, and said that there *was* a log kept of
dances called locally.

So, Amy, I suggest checking with Lindsey and see if the effort is
already under way.

In the SF Bay Area, I think our dance populations kinda slop around, so
that while a core of people may go to the central Bay Area dances (SF,
Berkeley, Palo Alto), East Bay people may also go to North Bay dances
(San Rafael, Petaluma) and North Bay people may go to Berkeley or SF but
not usually Palo Alto, while Monterey Bay people (Monterey, Santa Cruz)
go to those dances and some come up to Palo Alto, and some South Bay
people (Palo Alto, San Jose, etc) go to Santa Cruz or Monterey.  The
result is that every dancer does the dances that are called at the
dances they happen to go to, it would be a huge coordinating effort to
keep all the dances at different dance series with somewhat-overlapping
attendance separate, and nobody but callers seems to care anyway.

For me personally, different band, different tune set pretty much equals
different dance even with the same figures - but also dances that are
3/4 the same figures as other dances feel like the same dances anyway.

-- Alan